Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter can be punny...

So, my son has been frantic all weekend about Easter Eggs. Apparently, they made a big deal out of it at his school, and he had some odd fascination with it.

To combat this, as a good Catholic mama, I tried to explain to him in simple terms what Easter was really about. You know, that Jesus dies, rises from the dead, and we celebrate by the Easter Bunny giving us candy if we're good.

On one occasion about Easter Eggs, I found myself resembling an old Abbott and Costello skit regarding Easter Eggs.

Son: can we do the eggs now?
Me: no, you have to wait until daddy comes home so we can dye them.
Son: I don't want them to die, I want to color them!
Me: Dyeing is coloring.
Son: they turn colors when they die?
Me: when the eggs are dyed, they will turn colors
Son: so daddy has to kill them when he gets home?
Me: no one is killing the eggs. We're just coloring them
Son: when they die?
Me: when they're dyed, as in color

Needlesstosay, this conversation went on for a while, which resulted in my little philosopher being even more confused and frustrated.

He eventually got over it when he threw his first egg into the green dye.

No comments:

Post a Comment