Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fat Questions

I believe in being honest with your kids about the important things. And, I also know that Thing 1 is at the age where he's learning about judgment, comparisons, opposites, etc. So,when Thing 1 asked me "mommy, are you fat", I felt obligated to answer him honestly "yes, mommy is fat. But, I'm also healthy". Which I think is the important things. I'd like to teach my kids about being healthy and living a healthy lifestyle as being important.

I'm working on a healthy attitude towards body image. I just hope that there are other things that my kids will focus on to be embarrassed about. I mean, it's me, and I have plenty of ammunition to give them.

So for now, I have instructed Thing 1 to answer anyone who mentions that he has a fat mommy with "she's not fat, she's fluffy". That seems to have made him happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment