Friday, September 3, 2010

Lessons

As parents, we should practice what we preach. I've learned that lesson yesterday when dressing my son for TaeKwonDo, he asked to wear his belt and complete uniform. He was practically insisting that today was Uniform Day.

It was hot, and it's still summery outside, so thinking in the best his best interest (and to avoid an impeding heat rash) that it would be best to continue the tradition of tshirt and TKD pants.

Again, my son pleads with me that today is Uniform Day and that he needs his complete uniform. Again, I refused. We went a few rounds of this until I pulled the shiny trick (distracting him with something else) and we were on our merry way.

Only to discover everyone else was wearing uniforms. My son immediately looks at me and says "see, I told you!"

The instructor mentions it to him, and Thing 1 starts to pout a bit. I step up and say "I take responsibility for that. He told me and I didn't believe him".

My son looks up, gives me a grateful smile for admitting I was wrong and he was right. In that moment of redemption, I saw a little spark of pride in him that I stood up for him and he was right (for a change).

The instructor gives a little laugh, says it's okay...and class continues. No harm. But, there were lessons here. For him, he learned his mom can make mistakes, but I can admit to them.

Lessons learned for me: I need to take more time to listen to my children. I'm not always right.

Humble pie? I'll take a slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment