Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The dentist

Apologetically, he shot me up with novacaine (after the courtesy numbing agent). I have a high tolerance for pain. I mean, I was in labor for 15 1/2 hours with an epidural that didn't work before two c-sections. I'm okay with a little novacaine.

And, as I'm sitting there, getting dental work done, it dawns on me that this is a quiet moment. OK, there was some drilling, but you get the point...actual quiet down time for me. No work. No crazy demanding kids hanging off of me. I didn't know what to do (other than sit back gaping like a gold fish as I was getting a filling).

I think I relaxed a little too much, as I was drifting off into sleep.

Sleep, that thing I used to do so well. That thing that I took for granted a little more than two years ago. I snored a bit. I get a jolt awake.

"We're done!"

"Are you sure? You don't want to do anything more? Don't I need a root canal or a bridge or something? Are you sure you don't want to implant a replacement wisdom tooth I had removed long ago?"

"Nope, all done"

(((sigh)))

2 comments: