Friday, February 20, 2009

Seriously?

Why is it whenever you seem to be on the phone, with an important call they decide to demand your attention?

Last night: The kids are happily amused both watching Ni-Hao Kai-lan and by playing Thomas games on the computer.

I sneak away. It's an important call. The kids are amused. I might get away with it. I feel like a zebra, trying to get water from a local watering hole.

Suddenly, like little lions, they realize that mom isn't devoting 100% attention to their every breath. They start to cry, whine, push, bite, shove. Their cries are that of a predator pouncing on their prey.

I end the call, apologetically, to the person on the other end. The little angels resume playing, smug in their conquest. They've eaten the zebra and their bellies are full.

Grandma calls to chit chat. Silence in the other room. The call isn't important enough. Really...really?

3 comments:

  1. Always happens.... always. Why can't they do it when it's someone annoying like a bill collector? No instead it's when I actually WANT to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL,this happened just the other afternoon when you called me. I think I need a bigger house to hide in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! So true. As soon as I get on the phone, the quiet preteens who were reading books begin to argue...Irelynn, who was watching TV suddenly begins tailing me, saying "hey Mom! Hey Mom!" And Bruce starts making obsene gestures to try to distract me. What is it with kids?

    ReplyDelete